I had recently experienced a strange issue with a SSIS Package. This was basic package that copied data from a SQL Server table to a text file. This SSIS package was deployed in production for several months without issue, until – a minor change needed to be made. The change was insignificant; the location (path) of the output file (a config file is usually used but in this case I wanted to edit the package) needed to be changed. I had changed the path, built and deployed the package. Soon after deploying the package I received word that the file created was not correct.
I reviewed the output file and noticed that each record (line) ended with strange hex looking data: _x003C_none_x003E__x003C_none_x003E_
I scratched my head for a bit, reviewed the package’s source and destination connections and could not find where this odd _x003C_none_x003E_ data was coming from. I decided to view the package with a different editor and realized that somehow the Text Qualifier property for the Flat File Connection Manager was set to this “strange” sequence.
I removed the value, built and deployed the package and everything was back to normal – well as normal as it could be…